Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Large by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a superb choice for owners in search of a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the crucial reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an important alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should buy luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The House Depot.
So, in the event you set up it your self, it might solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is slicing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an growth house — you’ll want anyplace from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the kind you purchase, the underlayment might already be hooked up.
Watch: The best way to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama dwelling, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal growth.
Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to appropriate the difficulty? If the gaps are stuffed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house broaden and contract, and possibly nowhere is it extra evident than whenever you’re crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nonetheless, when you’ve got some gaps which can be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, rigorously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem nevertheless it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to study the straightforward strategy to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A home-owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Apart from raking, which I hate, how can I decide up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the facility to choose them up. Is there a bit of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to comprise the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These will be dear, so see in the event you can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To eradicate this downside sooner or later, forestall the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can forestall acorn manufacturing, however solely an expert arborist ought to apply them.
Consider — eradicating acorns will be time-consuming and also you may must repeat it as new acorns fall.
All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A home-owner says the tempered glass on his gasoline cooktop instantly shattered the opposite day, though the equipment wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it will possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes.
A number of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop is just not put in accurately, it will possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it might put some stress on the highest, ultimately inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to speedy adjustments in temperature, corresponding to from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it will possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra vulnerable to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You possibly can name an expert to switch the glass cooktop, nevertheless it is perhaps costly. Contemplate changing the equipment with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, observe the following pointers:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This may trigger thermal stress and may trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it will possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Don’t place heavy objects, corresponding to forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they will trigger impression harm.
- Clear the cooktop often with a light detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any filth, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it will possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time observe the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Overlaying Terracotta Tile
A home-owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California rental.
“The floor is just too arduous, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we have now extra comfy flooring put in on prime? It looks as if removing might be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it will possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not degree together with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for protecting terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring will be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and simple to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring will be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring can be put in over the present tiles and is out there in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that isn’t hooked up to the subfloor, the sort of flooring will be put in over the terracotta tiles and will be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with an expert flooring specialist to find out the best choice to your particular state of affairs.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Study extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Software — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, it’s essential to first take away any standing water. Now, you could possibly use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or when you’ve got a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: The best way to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to go the paint via a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows via a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Lower the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint via the display screen. When carried out, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and put it aside for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: The best way to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
In case you have a remark, basic query about dwelling enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Right now’s House owner, please fill on this type: