Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Huge by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good possibility for owners searching for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring possibility.
Additionally, it’s one of the vital reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an important alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Residence Depot.
So, for those who set up it your self, it might solely price you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is reducing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an growth area — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply make sure you safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Observe the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the kind you purchase, the underlayment might already be hooked up.
Watch: Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama residence, and he’s seeing the results of thermal growth.
Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to appropriate the difficulty? If the gaps are stuffed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house broaden and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nonetheless, you probably have some gaps which can be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, rigorously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem but it surely received’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to study the straightforward option to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A home-owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“In addition to raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the facility to choose them up. Is there a bit of apparatus appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These might be dear, so see for those who can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To get rid of this drawback sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If attainable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Take into accout — eradicating acorns might be time-consuming and also you may have to repeat it as new acorns fall.
All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A home-owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop out of the blue shattered the opposite day, despite the fact that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be robust and sturdy, however it will probably shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. Among the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embody:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop isn’t put in appropriately, it will probably put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it might put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast modifications in temperature, comparable to from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it will probably trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Generally, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra susceptible to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You possibly can name knowledgeable to interchange the glass cooktop, but it surely is likely to be costly. Take into account changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following pointers:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This could trigger thermal stress and may trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and forestall warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it will probably scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, comparable to forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger influence harm.
- Clear the cooktop often with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it will probably trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Protecting Terracotta Tile
A home-owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California apartment.
“The floor is simply too onerous, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we have now extra snug flooring put in on high? It looks as if removing can be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it will probably block home equipment from opening or make them not stage along with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this received’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for masking terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring might be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and straightforward to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring might be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring will also be put in over the present tiles and is offered in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that’s not hooked up to the subfloor, this sort of flooring might be put in over the terracotta tiles and might be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the best choice on your particular state of affairs.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Software — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you need to first take away any standing water. Now, you possibly can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you’ll be able to squirt it right into a bucket, rest room or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, rest room clogs, or you probably have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to cross the paint by means of a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by means of a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Reduce the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint by means of the display screen. When executed, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and put it aside for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you have a remark, common query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Immediately’s House owner, please fill on this type: